2 teaspoons butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil and grease the foil with butter; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and vinegar. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in baking soda.
- Immediately pour into prepared pan.
- Do not spread candy. Cool.
- Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Gently peel off foil; break candy into pieces.
- In a microwave, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth.
- Dip candies in the chocolate mixture, allowing excess to drip off.
- Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.
Yield: 2 pounds.
Recipe from Taste of Home online under mine run candy