Monday, August 10, 2009

Yellow Curry with Rice

It might not be pretty to look at, but it is scrumptious to eat! (Unless of course you are a man in my family-for some reason they are not fond of this yummy spice that lights up my life.)

The recipe:
Start some white cal-rose rice in your rice cooker or on the stove.
  • 2 regular size potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 c sliced carrots

PRE COOK THESE IN A CUP OF BOILING WATER UNTIL THEY ARE AT THE SOFTNESS YOU LIKE

  • 1 lb of chicken tenders cut into cubes (you could also use thigh meat, I just prefer the white meat)

COOK YOUR CHICKEN IN SKILLET WITH 2 TSP SESAME OIL (OR ANY OIL-I JUST LOVE SESAME OIL)

  • 3 T oil (again I prefer sesame, but any cooking oil will work)
  • 2 T yellow curry paste (my Albertsons does not carry this, so I use a T of curry powder and another T of sesame oil to make my own paste, and have not been disappointed in the flavor)

HEAT OIL IN PAN UNTIL HOT, ADD PASTE AND STIR WELL, THEN ADD EACH OF THE FOLLOWING INGREDIENTS AND STIR WELL IN BETWEEN EACH ONE

  • 2 c coconut milk
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp tumeric powder (this is what gives it the heat, add more if you like it hot, less if you want it super mild-this makes a pretty mild curry though)
  • Pre-cooked chicken
  • Pre-cooked veggies
  • 2 T fish sauce
  • 2 1/2 T sugar
  • 1/2 c water

WHEN IT ALL BOILS TOGETHER, THEN TURN DOWN HEAT TO A SIMMER, COVER AND LET FLAVORS ALL MELD TOGETHER

I added my rice at this point and made it into a more thick meal-but you can also just pour your curry soup over rice or just eat it sans rice.

You could also add 1 cup of onion to the soup if you like that sort of thing, as I mentioned before-we are not an onion eating family.

Comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Free Blog Template by June Lily