My Grandma makes this, and I adore it!
It is so rich, creamy and so not good for you that it is my definition of comfort food.
I changed a few things from the original-but Grandma Betty, you rock!
- 12 oz. Penne (or any other noodle you like or have on hand
- 1 lb. Hamburger
- 3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 15 oz. Tomato Sauce (or 2 regular size cans of Tomato Soup)
- 8 oz. Cottage Cheese (or 6 ozRicotta if you don't like the Cottage Cheese texture)
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese-softened
- 1/2 c. Sour Cream
- 2 TBS butter-melted
- Salt & Pepper, Basil (or any other seasonings you would like to use)
- Heat oven to 375
- Cook Noodles according to directions, and drain.
- Meanwhile-in a hot pan start your garlic-then add beef, salt and pepper, basil and/or other seasonings of your choice. Cook until browned completely.
- Stir in Tomato Sauce and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In a seperate bowl combine cottage cheese, cream cheese and sour cream.
- In a rectangle baking pan (9x13 is perfect) spread 1/2 the noodles, cover with cheese mixture, then the rest of noodles-drizzle with melted butter, then the meat and sauce goes on top.
- Bake uncovered 30 minutes or until heated through.
Serves about 6 hungry adults. Perfect for company-hence the name.
When I make this, I usually double the recipe and freeze one-or bring to someone who just had a baby or something.